Top Advertisement – Fanthem

New to Fanthem? Want to Share Your Opinion? Click HERE to See Video

Classic Match Report- Everton 3-1 Oldham Athletic- 26th February 2013

bad postnot very good postgood postvery good postgreat post (1 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)

Everton are into the quarter-finals of the FA Cup to play Wigan Athletic after ending League One Oldham Athletic’s cup dreams with a 3-1 win in the fifth round replay at Goodison Park.

Everton raced into a 2-0 half-time lead thanks to Kevin Mirallas’ opener and Leighton Baines 34th minute penalty, after Connor Brown handled Seamus Coleman’s cross in the six yard box.

Leon Osman added a third and David Moyes’ side will face the Premier League strugglers in the last eight, despite Matt Smith’s 64th consolation goal for the Latics.

The home side started the game in frantic fashion, taking the lead after just 15 minutes. Darren Gibson swung in the cross from the right and Mirallas was on hand to volley past Oldham goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis for his fourth goal for the Toffees.

The League One side were not going to keel over though, which was proven as ex-Everton midfielder Jose Baxter hit the post with a superb curling effort from 20 yards. At the other end, Baines tested the former Liverpool shot-stopper with a 35 yard piledriver that Bouzanis did well to push the ball away for a corner.

Leon Osman headed over from Mirallas’ corner, but Everton could not be stopped and added a second thanks to help from a handball by Brown. The right back blocked a cross with his arm, and Baines was on hand to slide the penalty into the bottom corner, putting the cup tie to bed after just 34 minutes.

Just before half-time, Everton had another opportunity to add to the lead but Nikica Jelavic should have done when heading Coleman’s cross well over from just six yards out. After the interval, nothing changed and the Premier League side continued to dominate.

Oldham’s defence failed to clear a simple cross and the ball fell to Jagielka inside the six yard box, but the former Sheffield United man wildly blazed over with his left foot to the disappointment of Moyes and the Everton bench. Osman’s weak strike was easily saved while for Oldham, Lee Croft shot wide after finding space from 18 yards.

Everton soon made the score 3-0 and were helped by a goalkeeping mistake. Steven Pienaar’s inswinging cross was flicked on by Osman, but he didn’t make a clean contact. Unfortunately for the Latics, Jelavic made a run across the goalkeeper, causing Bouzanis to fumble Osman’s header into the bottom corner in a sloppy piece of handling from Oldham’s number one.

Everton’s three goal advantage didn’t last long though as Oldham pulled a goal back. Matt Smith, who had just came on as a substitute, powered a header into the bottom corner from four yards but it was never going to be enough for a lacklustre Oldham side.

Everton had chances to add a fourth as Coleman fired across goal from just outside the penalty area before Gibson blazed over from ten yards after a superb lay-off from Jelavic.

The game played out it’s last ten minutes without incident but Moyes will be pleased with that as his side march through to the quarter-finals.

Match Report by Kyle Dixon (@kyledixon95)

Credit all authors of images used in both article and as cover image : Kyle Dixon

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

No announcement available or all announcement expired.