CANTON,Ohio- Last week, I started my first health and fitness blog. I’m happy it received as many views as it did. Hopefully some of you, maybe even half of you, really took it to heart. Fitness and health are very serious. My main point to last week’s article was simple. If you’re not serious about it and can’t make it a life style, why waste your time? It’s not a bad thing. It’s not for everyone. That’s for you to decide.
Exercising has many benefits. I won’t be able to list every benefit, but I’ll do my best.
- Helps keep your joints, muscles and bones healthy
- Lowers your chances of diabetes, colon cancer and osteoporosis (When bones become weak and brittle)
- Lower blood pressure
- Manage stress and improve your mood. Exercising takes your mind of life’s stresses and may help clear your mind and help you manage problems in your life better.
- Ease symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Manage chronic conditions like arthritis or diabetes, by improving symptoms like stamina, joint swelling, pain and muscle strength
- With balance, so you’re less likely to fall and fracture bones
You should be doing at least 30 minutes of moderate activity a day. It can be anything from doing actual exercises, going for a walk, riding a bike, swimming, basketball, playing catch with a football or baseball, cleaning the house, carry groceries or as a good friend of mine does, play in a rock and roll band like Café 80’s (thecafe80s.net). Speaking of music, dance to your favorite songs.
As you can see, there are a number of ways to be active every day. There really is no excuse.
Let’s talk about fitness goals.
What are you trying to do? Are you apart of the majority of people that want to shed some weight? Or, are you like me, sitting in the minority category, trying to gain weight and build muscle. It’s something that you need to go over before you start doing an exercise routine.
Again, the last thing you want to do, is waste your time and not get results as soon as possible.
Say you’re looking to lose some weight. Here are ways you can help yourself out. Keep in mind, you can work out as much as you want in a day, if you’re taking in more calories than you letting out, you won’t get very far. So, keep that in mind.
- Cut back on sugars and carbs
- Make your breakfast is your biggest, heaviest meal of the day. That allows your metabolism to have all day to burn off those calories
- Eat more protein, vegetables and fruit
- When grocery shopping, look at the calories per serving, try to keep them low. Buy natural and organic products. Fruit cups with syrup are no good
- Meat, seafood and eggs are great for people wanting to lose weight.
- Shoot for 2-3 meals per day. If you find yourself needing more food, try drinking more water, eat big salads with a tablespoon of a low-fat dressing of your choice. Also, you can snack, but make sure the snacks are healthy, low in calories and low in carbs. Trust me, your system will eventually adjust, but it may take some time
- If you’re going to be lifting weights, try to work out 3 days a week. Make sure you try to do 4 sets of each exercise and perform 15-20 reps per set
- Embrace the sweat. The more you sweat, the more calories you’re burning
- Aim to lose 2 pounds a week
- Eliminate the “bad food” from your pantry. That includes your fridge
- Try to sleep for 7-8 hours. There is a stress hormone known as Cortisol, that when released, causes you to gain weight. Not sleeping enough activates this hormone
For more information on losing weight and tips on how to get the job done, just use google. Everyone can do it. I’ve used Google for many tips on exercising.
Next week, I’ll be focusing on the people, like me, that are working towards gaining weight and putting on muscles.
Last week, I mentioned to you that I’ve teamed up with a supplement company called Swole Sports. Their website is swolesports.com and you can follow them on Twitter: @swolesports.
Swole sports has the supplements you need to help you get to where you want to be. The supplements are healthy as well. If you decide to order supplements, which I highly recommend, please use the discount code Drew15. That will get you 15% off your order. I use the supplement known as “Pre-Wrek”. It definitely gets me going in the morning. Soon, I’ll be ordering their “branched” supplement. It’s a BCAA. Don’t forget to mention that you found out about Swole Sports from my Broulis Beat Report on Fanthem.com
Credit all authors of images used in both article and as cover image : Nick Broulis