CANTON,Ohio- The Cleveland Browns have 11 free agents including WR Travis Benjamin, offensive linemen Alex Mack and Mitchell Schwartz and safety Tashaun Gipson. I, for one, would be a little surprised if any of them return.
I keep reading and hearing reports about Mack and Benjamin having the best chance of coming back but those chances are slim.
If I had to pick between any of them I would be Alex Mack or Schwartz but probably Mack due to his consistency and it seemed like it took Mitchell Schwartz forever to finally become good at right tackle.
I am not for the Browns signing any of these players to big money contracts because even though they’ve been good players, that has not helped this team get into the win column. You can say thats a team thing which I agree but you can’t keep giving raises to players on teams that are lucky to reach 4 or 5 wins.
Now onto the fun part. Free agency will begin on the 16th which is next Wednesday and although teams must build through the draft it’s perfectly fine to add 1 or 2 players to help speed up the process of making your team a legit contender.
Now as many as you know Cleveland hired Hue Jackson as their new head coach and when you hire a new coach he likes to bring in players that he used to coach and go figure the Bengals are loaded with not just a lot of free agents but a lot of starter type free agents.
So here are some free agents and their not just from Cincinnati:
1. Marvin Jones- WR- Hes 6’2 and 200 pounds plus add speed to that and he’s only 25. It’s being reported that the Browns actually spoke with Jones already and he could pontencially become a #1 or #2 at the very least. This would be a good pickup for Cleveland and they would have to send out the midget squad every game now.
2. Mohamed Sanu- WR- Another bigger WR, Sanu is 6’2 and 210 pounds and is 26. He would also be another good pickup for the Browns.
3. George IIoka- SS- IIoka plays the run very well but also plays coverage good to. I don’t think the Browns will go after him but he’d be a nice pickup.
4. Bruce Irvin- LB- young and plays with a chip on the shoulder. Unfortunately I do not see him coming to Cleveland.
5. Kelvin Beachum- OT- Why not improve your team while weakening a divisdional opponent? Beachum is young and has been with Pittsburgh his whole career but with Schwartz likely leaving he wouldn’t be a bad addition and he’s 26.
Luckily for the Browns the offensive linemen position is deep this year so they could always go that route but it wouldn’t hurt to add depth to that area and by saying that I mean quality depth.
Credit all authors of images used in both article and as cover image : Nick Broulis